Rocky Mountain News, June 3, 1881
The Presbyterians are erecting a $2,000 house of worship, which will be completed and ready for occupancy in about two weeks.
Mr. R.C. Elliott, our merchant, is fencing a large tract of ground near the city, intending to go into the stock business in addition to other businesses.
O.B. Kline, formerly agent at this point, has been here for the past few days visiting old friends. He leaves soon to accept the Rio Grande [railway] agency at Poncha Sprongs.
The [railway] station buildings here have been recently painted inside and out, fences and outbuildings fixed up and everything put in fine order.
The winter is quite warm, and crops never looked better. Large quantities of potatoes are being planted here this year, Mr. F.E. Robinson of Colorado Springs alone putting in twenty-five acres.
The Monument House is doing a fine business. Large numbers of city folks are coming here to view our monuments and get a breath of fresh air and a drink of pure milk.
The Denver & Rio Grande are building three culverts near here to replace three long trestles and make ready for the third [standard-gauge] rail. [Until 1881 the D&RG had narrow-gauge track on its Denver to Colorado Springs line.] The present structures are not considered strong enough. This will require a large amount of stone and other materials, over sixty cars having already come.