Museum opening hours: Wednesdays 1 pm to 4 pm & Saturdays 10 am to 2 pm Special tours or research hours can be provided by calling 719-559-0837

Physical Address:

66 Lower Glenway

Palmer Lake, CO 80133

Mailing address:

PO Box 662

Palmer Lake, CO 80133

About PLHS

About PLHS

About The Palmer Lake Historical Society

Mission

The mission of the Palmer Lake Historical Society (PLHS) is to preserve, protect, promote, and provide access to historical data, artifacts and other items of significance relating to the Palmer Divide area and make resources available to the public primarily through the Lucretia Vaile Museum and annual programming.

Goals

The primary goals and objectives of the Palmer Lake Historical Society are to assemble, preserve, display (as feasible), and interpret historical objects and printed material pertaining to the Palmer Divide area that includes Palmer Lake, Monument, School District 38, the United States Air Force Academy, and as far east as Table Rock.

The secondary goal and purpose—no less important—is to sponsor, maintain, ensure the continuance of, and be responsible for the activities and commitments of the Lucretia Vaile Museum. The society hosts monthly historical talks and field trips, learn more, and see upcoming events within our Events section.

The Society serves our greater community by publishing books, pamphlets, the commissioning/sponsoring of historical DVDs, and by placing historical markers throughout Monument and Palmer Lake.

Two significant public-art history sculptures have been placed with “Dizzy” the German Shepherd in the Palmer Lake Village Green and the “Monument 1879” bas-relief panel located in the Town Hall of Monument. Both were a gift from the Society to the people of the two towns.

Please help us in our effort to preserve the irreplaceable historical heritage of our area. The Society and Museum need your donations of time and money to operate. We can’t survive without your support! Click here to make a donation.

Become a Member

We are a 501(c)(3) Educational Non-Profit and the only organization dedicated to preserving the History of the Palmer Divide area. Visit the Museum and our Website to learn more and obtain a membership form. We are supported by the people of the area and have no paid fundraisers or staff.

Denver & Rio Grande Depot 1890

Our Board and Awards

The Palmer Lake Historical Society Board of Directors

All are volunteers. Without their many hours and dedication to community service, the many fine projects and accomplishments of the PLHS would not have been possible.

Rogers Davis, Museum Director & Curator
Rogers Davis, Museum Director & Curator
Su Osgerby Ketchmar, President
Su Osgerby Ketchmark, President
Wayne Russert, Vice President
Wayne Russert, Vice President
Patricia Atkins, Secretary
Patricia Atkins, Secretary
Maggie Williamson, Treasurer
Maggie Williamson, Treasurer
Barb Morehead, At Large
Barb Morehead, At Large
Susan Kuehster, At Large
Susan Kuehster, At Large

The Palmer Lake Historical Society was named the Tri-Lakes Chamber of Commerce Non-Profit of the Year for 2014.

The Selection Committee was unanimous in their choice. It was based on our past years of service to the community and our many events and activities that promote, protect, and preserve local history.

Newsletter Archives

Accomplishments

In 1956, a group of citizens recommended that a manuscript written by Marion Savage Sabin detailing the founding of Palmer Lake, Monument, and the surrounding Tri-Lakes region, entitled “Palmer Lake, A Historical Narrative,” be published. To accomplish this, they also recommended that a Historical Society be formed to continue the preservation of the area’s history.

The Palmer Lake Historical Society was subsequently founded by Marian McIntyre-McDonough and was incorporated with a full slate of officers and directors.

The Society established a museum, which later became the Lucretia Vaile Museum, and expanded its scope to collecting the history and artifacts from the Palmer Divide area.

The Society publishes histories of Monument, Palmer Lake, and the area surrounding these towns with additional research and historical publications planned.

  • 1964

    The Society opened a museum housed in the present Palmer Lake Police Department offices (originally the AT&SF Section Foreman house).

  • 1981

    The Society helped fund construction and moved to the new Lucretia Vaile Library and Museum.

  • 1998

    The Society provided a lake fountain to replicate a fountain that existed at the turn of the century.

  • 2001

    The Society and the Town of Palmer Lake completed a memorial honoring William (Bill) J. Crawford who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for action during WWII.

  • 2006

    The Society commissioned a bronze statue of “Dizzy” a German Shepherd as a gift to the people of Palmer Lake. The statue commemorated the Society's 50th anniversary and the 70th anniversary of the Palmer Lake Star. Dizzy helped build “The Star.”

  • 2008

    The Society presented the first Return of the Rocky Mountain Chautauqua Assembly to Palmer Lake.

  • 2009

    The Society commissioned a bas-relief panel to commemorate significant historical events and people of the Town of Monument. The panel, along with additional historical artworks, on display in the new Monument Town Hall represent a gift of the Society to the people of Monument and the Palmer Divide area. The Chautauqua revival expanded to three days.

  • Future

    Vaile Museum building and exhibit expansions and new publications are projects under consideration.