Daily Republican (Denver), May 6, 1879
On the fourth of November 1878, a private school was opened in Monument with fifteen pupils in attendance, which number was increased to twenty-five before the close of the session. The reasons for this movement were found in necessity for instruction in a more advanced range of studies than are taught in the district schools of the state; the youth of the neighborhood were either obliged to content themselves with the ordinary routine or go away from home to advanced schools. It was decided to open a private school with a few classes for one session at least. It was successful in its results, receiving the patronage and hearty recognition and support of the people of the Divide section; so successful that in a few weeks it was incorporated as a public institution.
Efforts are now being made to rise a sufficient amount of funds to erect a suitable building. The trustees for the first year are: Charles A. Taylor, president, R.J. Gwillen, A.F. Woodward, treasurer, J.F. Wood and A.T. Blachly, secretary.
Rev. Charles A. Taylor is principal, and Miss M.M. Holbrook and Mrs. J.T. Blachly assistants. The institution is under the control of the Presbyterian denomination, and its course of study arranged with especial reference to fitting pupils for the Colorado Springs college and embraces the usual range of academic studies. Careful attention is paid to the morals as well as the intellectual development of the pupils, and from the well-known moral character of the population of Monument and the adjacent country it cannot fail of being popular with parents, who wish their sons and daughters while at school to be surrounded by elevating and ennobling influences. Board may be had at $4 per week, and the rates of tuition are for English branches $6 per quarter, languages higher English and mathematics $7.