Monument began as a territorial ranching settlement in the mid 1860’s. It was first called “Henry’s Station”, after Henry “Dutch” Limbach, who ran a saloon on his homestead claim. When the Denver & Rio Grande railroad came through in 1872, the name was changed to Monument, after the prominent rock formation to the west of town.
The town layout is quite typical of a 19th-century western railroad town with a “Front Street” usually parallel to the train tracks, intersected with written, numbered street names, followed by commemorative presidential names.
Please note, there is no access or entry to private homes.